Pumpkin curry recipe. Step by step preparation of pumpkin curry. Pumpkin or gummadikaya as it is called in Telugu is cooked in several ways. This is one of those several recipes of gummadikaya which has a tinge of sweetness to it. Cook it in gravy or in halwa or in tamarind juice, this bulky vegetable tastes delicious.
Gummadikaya Kura Recipe – Pumpkin Curry
Gummadikaya koora (aka Indian pumpkin curry) tastes yummy with steaming hot white rice and rasam as an accompaniment. Try this gummadikaaya koora with phulka.
step by step gummadikaya kura recipe or pumpkin curry preparation:
Pumpkin Curry – Gummadikaya Koora Recipe:
Recipe Type: Side dish
Cuisine: South Indian
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Gummadikaya Koora is a well-known dish in South Indian cuisine.
- Finely chopped Pumpkin – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Cumin – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Ginger -1 inch piece
- Green chillies – 5
- Finely chopped coriander – 1 tbsp
- Wash the pumpkin and peel the skin. Use the knife to remove the skin as pumpkin skin is hard to peel with a peeler.
- Finely chop the pumpkin and keep aside.
- Take a thick bottomed pan. Heat oil in it.
- Once the oil is hot, add the cumin and mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add turmeric to the oil.
- Now add the pumpkin pieces and stir well.
- In the meanwhile make a coarse paste of the green chillies and ginger by adding the required amount of salt to it. Keep aside.
- Cook till the pumpkin becomes soft. Do not cover with a lid as pumpkin oozes a lot of water. We are not making a gravy curry. So make sure not to cover with a lid.
- We do not add salt also while the pumpkin is cooked as it helps to release the water from the pumpkin.
- Once the pumpkin is cooked, add the green chillies and the ginger paste and mix well with a spatula.
- Add the coriander powder and stir well.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 2 mins.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander and turn off the flame.
* If you do not like the taste of ginger and green chilli paste, substitute it with red chilli powder and a teaspoon of dry mango powder. It tastes equally delicious.
** Try substituting ginger with few pods of garlic when you cook it next time.
*** The base curry is the same but adding your unique flavour to the curry will definitely help you find which taste suits you the best.