Shimla mirch ka salan is the most popular side dish gravy recipe for biryani. Whether you call it classic or common, this bell pepper gravy appends authenticity to Hyderabadi Biryani.
Who wouldn’t love a salan for dinner with some soft rotis?
Here is a simple recipe for Shimla mirch ka salan recipe.
This is the modified version of the very popular recipe – Hyderabad mirchi ka salan. I have substituted hot chillies with green peppers to give it the mild taste.
Shimla Mirch Ka Salan – Bell Pepper Gravy
Shimla mirchi ka salan tastes the best with rotis, naans and any type of pulao. Not to mention, this capsicum in spicy peanut gravy best compliments the authentic Hyderabadi Biryani.
Step by step Shimla mirch ka salan preparation or Bell pepper gravy recipe card:
- Diced green capsicum – 1 cup
- Sliced onion – 1 large
- Green chillies – 3
- Tamarind – 3 pods
- Roasted peanuts – 1 tbsp
- Roasted sesame seeds – ½ tbsp
- Chopped coconut – 2 inch cube
- Curd – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chillies – 2
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – ¼
- Chopped coriander – 1 tbsp
- Blend roasted peanuts, roasted sesame seeds, coconut, tamarind, green chillies to a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Take oil in a kadai and heat it. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin and let them splutter.
- Add turmeric.
- Add sliced onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and salt. Cook till the raw flavour is gone.
- Add the finely blended paste to this and mix well. Add 1 cup of water to make it thin.
- Cook on a low flame with the lid closed till the oil comes out from the gravy.
- Now add red chilli powder, beaten curd and mix well.
- Cook on a medium flame for 10 mins.
- To this gravy add the diced capsicum and cook till the capsicum becomes soft.
- Garnish with coriander and turn off the flame.
** You can also add chopped mint to this.
*** This curry will need more cooking time. So try this recipe when you have ample time for cooking.