Spring onion bottle gourd gravy is easy and tempting dish. Its unique sour taste is absolutely delicious and healthy. Also called ulli bondu anapakaya pulusu, this easy stew is referred to as a natural gourd.
Bottle Gourd – A Natural Gourd!
Bottle gourd is a popular veggie used across most Indian households. It forms an excellent diet useful in the management of various diseases. Also called as Anapakaya or Sorakaya in Telugu states, I love this vegetable and use it in all types of preparations. Some throw away the skin over it, but my mom is a specialist in making chutney with it. I’ll disclose it later.
Spring Onion Bottle Gourd Gravy:
Spring onion bottle gourd tangy gravy – a recipe from my mother’s kitchen! Also called ulli bondu sorakaya pulusu or anapakaya pulusu, this sour and tangy gravy is heavenly for the ones who love the sour taste. One of my favourite recipes! Try this out…very simple and the unique sour taste of the gravy is utterly delicious!
This sorakaya pulusu tastes amazing with steaming hot rice and plain dal.
step by step spring onion bottle gourd gravy recipe or ulli bondu anapakaya pulusu:
- Spring onion bulbs – 8
- Cubed bottle gourd - 1 cup
- Chopped spring onion greens - ½ cup
- Finely chopped onion - 1 medium
- Slit green chillies - 3
- Curry leaves - few
- Lemon sized tamarind soaked in water
- Salt as per taste
- Turmeric - ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Jeera powder – ½ tsp
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Chopped coriander - 2 tbsp
- Take a deep pan with thick bottom. Turn on the flame and add oil.
- My mother uses a pressure cooker! Take a pressure cooker of 3 lt capacity.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin. Once they start spluttering, add onion and green chillies.
- Sauté. Cook till the onions turn transparent.
- Add turmeric and salt.
- Add curry leaves.
- Now add the bottle gourd pieces and cook.
- After 5 mins, add the spring onion bulbs and greens and stir carefully or just try to toss.
- Add the red chilli powder, jeera powder, coriander powder and toss.
- Cook for 5 mins.
- Squeeze the pulp for the soaked tamarind and add it to the gravy. Add some more water to maintain the consistency.
- Bring the contents to a boiling state.
- Close the cooker with the lid. Cook till one or two whistles.
- Let it cool and garnish with chopped coriander.
** Make sure the bottle gourd is neither too tender nor too mature.
*** The sourness can be adjusted according to ones taste.
**** This bottle gourd recipe can be cooked with plain onions too.