Kaddu ka dalcha aka Lauki Ka Dalcha is an authentic Hyderabadi dish. This Hyderabadi kaddu ka dalcha is a simple recipe made out of kaddu and lentils. Discover how to make Hyderabadi dalcha at home.
Kaddu ka Dalcha – Perfectly Blended Hyderabadi Cuisine:
If you want to feel the Mughlai cuisine of Hyderabad, then Hyderabadi kaddu ka dalcha recipe is for you.
Kaddu ka dalcha, a simple Hyderabadi dish served along with the famous Hyderabadi biryani. Dalcha has a special aroma of spices blended with the lentils and bottle gourd.
A vegetarian version of the mutton dalcha, kaddu ka dalcha can best be served when you have group of guests with few vegetarians in it.
Serve this Kaddu ka Dalcha with steaming hot dum biryani or pulao and enjoy the perfect blend of spices and aromas.
step by step lauki ka dalcha or Hyderabadi kaddu ka dalcha recipe:
- Oil - 4 tbsp
- Bottle gourd cut into big triangles – 1 cup
- Finely chopped tomatoes – 1 cup
- Sliced Onions – 1 big
- Slit Green chillies – 4
- Yellow lentils – ¼ cup
- Split chick peas – ¼ cup
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Tamarind pulp – 3 tbsp (or) ¼ cup of thick tamarind juice
- Curry leaves – few sprigs
- Coarsely chopped coriander – 2 tbsp
- Cloves – 4
- Elaichi – 2
- Cinnamon - 1 inch stick
- Green cardamom – 3
- Bay leaves – 3
- Wash the yellow lentils and split chick peas together in a bowl. Soak for half an hour.
- Pressure-cook till soft.
- Mash and keep aside.
- In a thick bottomed pan, heat oil.
- Add all the spices listed above.
- Fry till aromatic.
- Add the onions. Cook till soft.
- Add salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, curry leaves and mix well.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw flavour is gone.
- Now, add tomatoes and cook till the oil separates.
- Now add the bottle gourd pieces and cook for 5 min.
- Add the tamarind juice and bring to a boil.
- Add the mashed yellow lentils and mix well.
- Adjust the seasoning by adding salt.
- Also add the coriander leaves and bring to a boil. Adjust the consistency by adding more water.
- Add the slit green chillies and boil.
- Turn off the flame.
** Add mutton after the tomatoes are cooked. Cook mutton till soft before adding lentils and tamarind juice.
*** Adjust the tamarind and the chilli powder according to your taste.
**** Bottle gourd can be replaced with brinjal to make the baingan ka dalcha.
Take a Look at Few More Insanely Delicious Side Dish Recipes:
You might also love to check these side dish recipes:- Pumpkin Curry – Gummadikaya Koora, Spring Onion Bottle Gourd Tangy Gravy recipe, Shimla mirch ka salan recipe, Punjabi chole masala recipe and Aloo Kurma recipe.