Bharwan bhindi recipe is a simple Gujarati style of stuffed okra preparation. In some parts of our country, it is also known by the name “Bhindi Sambhariya”. Okra stuffed with a blend of spices is worth all the effort.
Gujarati Style Stuffed Okra – Bharwan Bhindi Recipe
Okra, the tender vegetable rich in nutrients and fibre is loved by everyone old and young. There are several recipes of okra. Okra tastes great may it be a stir fry or a gravy curry.
Bharwan bhindi tastes super tasty with steaming hot rice and sambar. It tastes equally good with some rotis.
Step by step bharwan bhindi recipe or stuffed okra preparation:
- Okra or Ladies finger – 500 gms
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Jeera powder – ½ tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tbsp
- Dry mango powder – 1 tsp
- Roasted peanut powder – 3 tbsp
- Roasted cashew nuts – 1 tbsp
- Roasted sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
- Wash the okra thoroughly under running water. Pat dry and keep aside.
- Cut the okra into 1 ½ inch pieces. Now give vertical slit in each of the pieces for the stuffing of the masala.
- In a mixing bowl, take roasted peanut powder, red chilli powder, salt, turmeric, coriander powder, jeera powder, sambar powder, dry mango powder and mix well. Keep aside.
- Take half of the above mixture in a bowl, and add 1 tbsp of water or as needed so as to make a thick paste.
- Stuff this paste into these okra pieces and keep aside.
- In a thick bottomed pan, heat oil.
- Once the oil is hot, place all these stuffed okra in the pan evenly. Sprinkle some salt over the okra so as to adjust the seasoning.
- Cook on a medium low heat till the bhindi is cooked.
- Flip the bhindi pieces after 10 mins.
- Cook for another 10 mins with the lid closed.
- Now open the lid, sprinkle the left over masala mixture on the top and gently toss so that all the pieces are covered with the bharwan masala.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and garnish with roasted cashews and sesame seeds.
** If you want to use lemon instead of dry mango powder, you can use it instead of the water to make a paste of the bharwan bhindi. In such case, also sprinkle some lemon juice in the last over the cooked bhindi.
*** Prefer using tender okra for this recipe.
**** You can also try your own blend of spices for this recipe like substituting sambar powder with garam masala. Such type of permutations and combinations will help you in mastering the art of cooking.
Please post your comments and your experience in cooking bharwan bhindi or your own spice mixture for this stuffed bhindi recipe.
Take a Look at Few Stir Fry Recipes:
There are few more interesting stir fry recipes – Beetroot stir fry recipe, Capsicum stir fry recipe, Radish stir fry recipe, Jeera aloo recipe, Stir fried french beans recipe and Spicy stuffed brinjal recipe.