A simple vankaya karam recipe with not many ingredients! This is a simple fry of brinjal with minimal ingredients. Brinjal is a vegetable which can be used in any form of cooking. Be it brinjal fry, curry, masala or chutney, brinjal definitely steals the show when you add it to the platter.
Vankaya Karam Recipe
Vankaya karam (వంకాయ కారం) is a quick recipe which can be paired best with any kind of dal or sambar. Here we go:
This great Vankaya Karam recipe is one of my mom’s signature dishes. Keep following my blog for more recipes of brinjal as I said I am a fond lover of brinjals and would love to eat it any form.
step by step vankaya karam recipe or vankaya karam petti koora:
- Brijnals / వంకాయలు - 15
- Chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Jeera powder – 1 tsp
- Dhaniya powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Take a large bowl. Add chilli powder, jeera powder, dhaniya powder, salt and turmeric and mix well so that all the ingredients are evenly mixed. This is the stuffing that we are going to use.
- Wash the brinjals thoroughly and check for any worms or holes very carefully. If you find any brinjal to be having worms, throw the brinjal and do not use it. Now, slit the brinjal into 4 keeping the stem intact. Place the slit brinjals in salt water.
- Take a shallow pan. Add oil and spread it around the pan so that the pan is covered fully.
- Stuff the powder into the brinjal. Do not worry if you think the powder doesn’t actually stay there. It is okay as we will be using the remaining powder at a later time of cooking. But make sure you are able to cover the inside of the brinjal with the stuffing.
- Repeat the same with all the brinjals and place them in the pan. Turn on the flame and cook the brinjals on a medium flame while occasionally tossing carefully so that the brinjals don’t get shattered.
- Once the colour of the brinjals is changed, sprinkle the remaining powder on top of these brinjals and cook for 5 – 10 min on a low flame.
- Once the brinjals become soft and tender, you can switch off the flame and transfer the ingredients into a serving bowl.
** Do not use a spatula to turn the brinjals over. Just toss them slowly. When you are doing this the brinjals keep moving around in the process of tossing.