Mamidikaya mukkala pachadi aka raw mango pickle or instant mango chutney is a must eat in summer.
Summer is here! The season of mangoes is around. It’s time for yummy and juicy mangoes and spicy mamidikaya mukkala pachadi (మామిడికాయ ముక్కల పచ్చడి)!
My Mom’s Instant Mango Pickle:
As a child, I was fond of the summer season just because of mangoes. Of course for holidays but more than that, it is the mangoes that I waited more for. For me, summer is the season of mangoes, lots of holidays and fun. Topping my favourite list, mangoes are a heavenly delight to eat.
The temporary mukkala pachadi made with young and tender mangoes is fresh and reviving. By this time of the year, we generally run out of avakaya. The raw mango mukkala pachadi made with the not fully formed or tender mangoes is a must eat.
Mamidikaya mukkala pachhadi mango pieces achar is my mom’s recipe. It tastes delicious.
Mamidikaya Mukkala Pachadi Recipe:
I made this instant mango pickle under my mom’s supervision.
Relish this mamidikaya mukkala pachadi to the fullest with steaming hot rice and ghee. It can also be served as a side dish with dosa, idly, roti and other breakfast items.
step by step mamidikaya mukkala pachadi or raw mango pickle or instant mango chutney recipe:
- Mangoes – 5 cups
- Red chilli powder – 1 ½ cup
- Mustard powder – 1 cup
- Salt – ¾ cup
- Roughly ground garlic – ½ cup
- Roasted fenugreek seeds – 2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Oil - 3 cups
- Take raw mangoes and wash them well. Pat dry with a dry napkin and keep aside.
- Keeping the skin intact, cut into small pieces removing the seed inside. As the seed is not fully formed it is not hard and can be removed with a knife.
- My mom is very particular with the measurements, so she cuts the mangoes and measures them with a cup. For this, she took 5 cups of cut mango pieces (mamidikaya mukkalu) in a mixing bowl.
- First add salt and turmeric and mix well. Toss if needed.
- Then add red chilli powder, mustard powder and mix well. Keep mixing to cover the mango pieces completely with the added ingredients.
- Add oil, fenugreek seeds, garlic paste and mix well.
- Keep this in an airtight container for 2 days without disturbing.
- On the 3rd day, mix the mamidikaya mukkalu pachadi well and check the taste. If needed add salt and mix well again. Check for the consistency and add some more oil if needed.
- Store in an airtight container and use within 20 – 25 days.
** The vessels and all the kitchenware used in the making should be dry.
*** Some substitute fenugreek seeds with fenugreek powder. But my mother prefers to use seeds.