Punugulu recipe with idli batter. Learn how to make crispy Andhra punugulu with dosa batter. Here’s the perfect and easy to make recipe of punugulu (crispy fritters) with idly dosa batter.
Punugulu – Healthy After-School Snack for Kids:
Kids come from school and want to eat some sort of snack! Generally, in the evenings my son eats some fruit and a glass of milk and he goes out to play. Occasionally, he wants some sort of munchies! If I am prepared for that, then all fine!
But if he wants a snack when I am not prepared at all, this recipe comes to my help; an instant after-school recipe which is ready in minutes.
Punugulu (పునుగులు), as it is called here in Telugu states, is the much-savoured snack of evenings after pakodas and bajjis. Most of us have dosa and idli batter ready in our refrigerators. This batter comes handy when you have sudden guests at home or on a rainy evening when nothing else is available or to pamper your child’s taste buds.
Punugulu Recipe with Dosa Batter:
This recipe as such does not need any special ingredients. The batter does it all. If not the fresh one, the fermented and leftover batter will also do!
Step by step punugulu preparation or crispy fritters recipe:
Here’s a step by step procedure to make Andhra punugulu with dosa batter. Serve these crispy and crunchy punugulu along with any chutney or ketchup.
- Idly batter - 1
- Dosa batter – ½ cup
- Salt as per taste
- Cumin – 1 tbsp
- Oil for deep frying
- Finely chopped green chillies – 4
- Finely chopped onion – 1 big
- Chopped curry leaves – few
- Chopped coriander – 1 tbsp
- In a mixing bowl, take both batters and mix well.
- Add salt, cumin. Also add the onions and other ingredients mentioned if you need them.
- Check for the consistency. If it is thin, the punugulu will absorb lot of oil.
- In that case add some maida to correct the consistency.
- Take oil for deep frying in a thick bottomed kadai.
- Drop small dumplings with three fingers into hot oil.
- Fry till golden brown and transfer to the kitchen tissue to absorb excess oil.
** The punugulu with this batter will be crisp outside and soft inside.
*** The ravva in the idly batter will enhance the texture of the punugulu and gives the crispness to them.
Take a Look at Few Healthy Afterschool Snack Recipes:
You might also love to check these yummy and nutritious after-school snack recipes:- Beetroot Patties Recipe, Bobbarla Punugulu Recipe, Vaamu Aaku Bajji, Classic Indian Onion Pakoras and Mixed Vegetable Grilled Sandwich Recipe.