Crispy, yummy and healthy bobbarla punugulu are very easy to make and serve as one of the best evening snacks for your kids as well as morning snack in the tiffin box.
Bobbarlu which is a powerhouse of protein is known in India by many names such as alasandalu (అలచందలు), lobia (लोबिया), chawli, black eyed pea, cow peas etc. Infact, this legume is considered as an important substitute for meat by many vegetarians.
Crispy, yummy and healthy bobbarla punugulu (బొబ్బర్లు పునుగులు) are very easy to make and serve as one of the best evening snacks for your kids as well as morning snack in the tiffin box.
Step by step recipe of Alasandalu or bobbarlu punugulu / lobia fritters:
- Bobbarlu/ alachandalu/ cow peas –1 cup
- Finely chopped onion – 1 medium
- Green chillies – 4
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Chopped curry leaves – few
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – for deep frying
- Soak the cow peas overnight. Make sure you get the fine quality of cowpeas or bobbarlu which does not contain minute stones. (If at all you are not confident that your lentils might just remove)
- Grind the cow peas to a coarse paste adding little water, green chillies and ginger.
- Transfer to a wide bowl. Add salt, chopped onions, jeera, chopped curry leaves and mix well.
- Take oil in a deep bottomed pan. Turn on the flame and heat it up till the oil reaches proper temperature to deep fry.
- Adjust the flame to medium, and start dropping round balls to the hot oil and wait till golden brown.
- Remove and place on the tissue to absorb any extra oil.
- Serve hot with ginger chutney, peanut chutney or with tomato ketchup.
** If you are making it as a snack for adults, instead of grinding chillies and ginger, you can chop them and mix along with onion.
*** Add salt and onion only when you are ready to start making punugulu. Or else, the batter will turn runny and will absorb lot of oil.
**** I used the whole cowpeas here. But if you do not to eat them with the skin, you can also use the skinned cowpeas.
Take a Look at Few Healthy Afterschool Snack Recipes:
You might also love to check these yummy and nutritious after-school snack recipes:- Crispy Andhra punugulu recipe, Beetroot patties recipe, Onion rings recipe, Vaamu aaku bajji, Classic Indian onion pakoras and Mixed vegetable grilled sandwich recipe.