Beetroot patties recipe is simple, super healthy and colourful snack. Beetroot tikki or beetroot patty or beetroot cutlet – Call it by any name, you can snack it any time of the day. Toss out the junk food, learn how to make beetroot patties and serve healthy snacks to your little tykes.
Beetroot Tikki / Beetroot Patties – Healthy Snack Recipe!
Beetroot is one of the vegetables that my son doesn’t like. So, I keep trying different recipes with beetroot so as to see my son gets to eat it. Tikkis or patties, whichever way you call them, are children’s favourite. So do my son’s!
The other day when I made these yummy beetroot patties, initially he was reluctant to eat. But, when I insisted that he should, he tried and loved them so much so that he wanted them for snack to school next day.
Healthy Snacks for Kids (And Grown-Ups, Too)
Pack these yummy beetroot patties for your child’s snack to school. These beetroot patties serve as an excellent evening snack too. Incorporating very healthy and tasty beetroot patties to your child’s diet is the best way to help your child to get rid of the aversion to beetroot.
Step by step beetroot tikki preparation of beetroot patties recipe below:
- Grated beet root – 1 cup
- Mashed potatoes - ½ cup
- Chopped Green chillies – 4
- Finely chopped onion- 1
- Finely chopped coriander – 2 tbsp
- Dry mango powder – 1 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Corn starch – 2 tbsp
- Panko powder (flaxseed meal) – 2 tbsp
- Oil/ butter for frying
- Roasted sesame seeds – for coating (approx 2 tbsp)
- Grate the beetroot. Add little salt and mix well. Set aside for 5 – 10 mins.
- Squeeze the water from beetroot and transfer the grated beetroot into a mixing bowl.
- Add all the ingredients one by one and mix well. Keep it aside covered for 5 minutes.
- Make small patties by taking a ball of the mixture on to your palm and pressing it to make a patty.
- Roll the outer edges of the patty on a flat surface to make sure the edges aren’t flat.
- Cover the patty with the sesame seeds by placing the patty in a bowl of sesame seeds.
- These patties can be deep fried in oil or on a griddle using very little ghee or butter.
- I fried them on a griddle by brushing little butter on both sides of the patty.
- Serve them hot with tomato ketchup or chilli sauce.
** The water squeezed from the grated beetroot can be used to mix the dough for beetroot rotis by adding some more grated beetroot. Check my beetroot roti recipe here.
*** You can use some flaxseed meal in the patty mixture instead of the panko.
**** You may roll the patties in panko and fry instead of sesame seeds. I wanted to use sesame seeds for enhanced visual appeal and taste.