How to make palak paneer at home. Palak paneer restaurant style recipe with homemade cheese. Step by step instructions to make tasty north Indian dish पालक पनीर.
“I’m strong to the finish because I eat spinach; I’m Popeye, The sailor man!”
I don’t think there would be anybody who would not know Popeye the sailor man, who gobbles down a can of spinach and gets a powerful boost of strength instantly with his forearms swelling. Putting aside the exaggeration that spinach gives you instant energy, it definitely is a packed punch in terms of nutrients and taste, leaf by leaf.
Super Food Spinach:
It is a known fact that these tender, crispy dark green leaves are all time favourites of chefs around the world. Abundantly available in any market, this green leaf is a real storehouse of nutrients.
The list of nutrients in this wonder leaf is long to be listed here. To be brief, palak is a rich source of iron and fibre. Vitamins like A, C, K and omega 3 fatty acids are also abundant in this wonder leaf! A mere 100 gm of this green leaf fulfils 25% of your daily requirements of iron.
Homemade Palak Paneer Recipe:
Oh come on! That is a long introduction, I feel! Let’s quickly learn the recipe!
Being a popular vegetarian dish, palak paneer tops the list of North Indian cuisine. Creamy and rich in nutrients, palak paneer is a delight to eat with the melt in mouth paneer cubes.
The succulent paneer cubes dipped in puréed spinach and garlic no doubt pairs perfectly with warm naans or rotis.
step by step palak paneer recipe with homemade cheese:
- Chopped palak – 2 large bunches
- Garlic pods chopped – 10 – 12
- Salt as per taste
- Green chillies – 8
- Paneer – 200 gm
- Jeera – 1 tbsp
- Dry mango powder or lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Fresh cream – 2 tbsp
- Rinse the spinach well under running water to remove any dust or pesticides. Soak it in salt water 5 min and drain the water. Grind the spinach along with green chillies and keep it aside.
- Take oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Once the oil is heated, add jeera and let it sizzle. Then add the chopped garlic. Sauté till nice aroma.
- Now add the pureed palak and stir. Add salt and check for seasoning. If needed add some more water and cook on a medium flame for about 10 mins with the lid closed.
- Add the paneer cubes and cook for 2 mins. Some people prefer to deep fry the paneer cubes. You can do it as well. But, as I already said, I make the fresh paneer whenever I want to use it, I do not fry it.
- After the paneer cubes become soft and tender, add dry mango powder or lemon juice and mix well and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Switch off the flame and add the cream. Mix it well and transfer to a serving bowl.
** If you want to use the frozen paneer, keep it in warm water for 10 mins to soften it.