Step by step preparation of mamidikaya pappu recipe. Easy to make raw mango dal recipe. Learn how to make telugu vantalu in a simple way.
Mamidikaya Pappu Recipe – Authentic Andhra Dish:
The season of mangoes is a delight to mango lovers. Everyone wants to try it in different dishes and relish the taste of mangoes to the fullest. This particular raw mango dal mamidikaya pappu recipe (మామిడికాయ పప్పు), the authentic dish of Andhra is served on the platter in most of the weddings during this season.
The tangy taste of raw mango dal mamidikaya pappu recipe is an utter delight to foodies. Couple it with any stir fry or papads and white rice.
step by step raw mango dal recipe or mamidikaya pappu recipe:
- Yellow lentils – 1 cup
- Raw mango – 1
- Green chillies – 2
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Onion small – 1
- Garlic – 2 pods
- Split urad dal – ½ tsp
- Mustard – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Red chillies – 2
- Curry leaves - few
- Wash the yellow lentils thoroughly and add enough water (for one cup you add 2 cups of water or little more but not less) and pressure cook till soft.
- Peel and chop the mango into cubes and boil till soft. Do not cook along with the lentils as we do with other dals. The mangoes are sour and thus will toughen the process of cooking. We mash the lentils and not the mango in this recipe. So both mango and yellow lentils should be cooked separately.
- Mash the dal well. Add turmeric, red chilli powder and salt and mix well.
- Now add the mango pieces and mix well. Add water to it and check the consistency. Now bring it to boil and temper it with red chillies, garlic and curry leaves.
** You can also add the raw mango pieces to the mashed dal and simmer on a low flame. The only drawback is it will take a lot of time.