Rich in protein, both peas and paneer in this matar paneer curry (मटर पनीर) will leave you finger licking and wanting more. I finalised upon this lip smacking Punjabi recipe after trying different versions of matar paneer and this recipe stood outstanding.
How I Make Matar Paneer?
Yesterday night….I cooked matar paneer for our dinner! My son as always was amazed at the softness of the paneer and asked me, Mamma! How is this paneer so soft? He says it’s mamma’s magic!
The trick is simple! Make your own paneer and see the magic! It will definitely leave your guests drooling over the softness and texture of homemade paneer. It’s a bet!
Matar Paneer – Blissful Delight:
The gravy which has succulent paneer cubes paired with the juicy green peas definitely is blissful delight. Pairing perfectly with naans and rotis of any kind, matar paneer is also served with pulao.
step by step Punjabi matar paneer recipe:
- Paneer – 200 gm
- Green peas (Matar) – 150 gm
- Onions – 2
- Green chillies – 2
- Tomato puree – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Curd (beaten) – 3 tbsp
- Cream – 1 tbsp
- Salt – as per the taste
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Red chilly powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Kasoori methi – ½ tsp
- Cinnamon sticks (1/2 inch) – 2 numbers
- Cardamom – 2 no
- Cloves – 3
- Cumin – ½ tsp
- Poppy seeds – ½ tsp
- Almonds – 4
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Take water in a bowl and boil.
- Turn off the flame and add poppy seeds, almonds and cashew nuts in water and close with a lid. They will become soft and blending will be quick and easy.
- Take a pan and add oil. Add all the whole spices and sauté. Now add the chopped onions and green chillies and stir well. Add little salt, turmeric and cook till the onions become soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and stir. Once the raw flavour of the ginger garlic paste is gone, add beaten curd and mix well. Cook for 5 min with the lid closed.
- Add tomato puree and cook till the oil oozes out.
- Add coriander powder, red chilli powder. Now add the ground paste and mix well. Add 1 cup of water and cook with the lid closed. Do not forget to stir intermittently. Cook for 10 min.
- Add the green peas and paneer. Mix well and cook for 10 mins more with the lid tightly closed.
- Check the taste and add salt if needed.
- Add very little garam masala and crushed kasoori methi and mix well.
- Turn off the flame and add the cream and mix well.
** You can either grind the tomato along with the cashews.
*** Paneer can be fried before adding to the curry. It purely depends on one’s taste.
**** If you are using frozen green peas, add them to boiling water and keep aside with the lid closed. Just drain the water and add to the curry when needed.
***** There are many other types of making this curry, but I find this particular one easy and tasty.